To New York From...
Driving distance quotes are in miles and
are estimates. Your mileage may vary.
Below are some facts about New York and some valuable links about the area. Follow the links to
learn more about the New York area and to help plan your trip to New York!
Other New York Information Sites
World Trade Center Viewing
Many visitors to New York City inquire about the World Trade Center/Ground Zero viewing
platform. The viewing platform is located at Liberty Street and Broadway, and is open
from 9AM to 9PM, every day. Viewing is first come, first served, tickets are no longer
needed, and groups no longer need to make special arrangements.
- Call (212) 484-1200 for more information.
New York Facts & Statistics
- Hot summers and cold winters; mild springs and pleasant, crisp falls. Clear skies 29% of the time; partly cloudy skies 34%; cloudy skies 37%. Annual rainfall: 40 in; heaviest rain in July and August. Average annual snowfall is 29 inches.
Jan: 24-37 Fahrenheit/-4-3 Celsius; Feb: 24-38 F/-4-3 C; Mar: 30-45 F/-1-7 C; Apr: 42-57 F/6-14 C; May: 53-68 F/12-20 C; Jun: 66-82 F/19-28 C; Jul: 66-82 F/19-28 C; Aug: 66-80 F/19-27 C; Sep: 60-79 F/16-26 C; Oct: 49-69 F/9-21 C; Nov: 37-51 F/3-11 C; Dec: 29-41 F/-2-5 C.
- New York City: 7,381,000. Metro New York (including the Tri-State area): 19,939,000.
- Area Geography
- The island of Manhattan is 23 sq mi/59 sq km. The total area of all five boroughs is 301 sq mi/780 sq km.
- County Government
- New York City is not located in one county; the five boroughs (Manhattan, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and Staten Island) serve as counties.
- Sales or Use Tax
- Sales tax is 8.25%. A hotel room surcharge of 5% brings the total "room tax" to 13.25%.
- Important Numbers
- Time: 212-976-6000. Weather: 212-976-1122. Emergency Numbers: Dial 911 for police and medical emergencies. Dial 212-577-7777 for the Crime Victims Hotline; Victim Services provides assistance to victims of rape and robbery and helps visitors find a way home if their money has been stolen.
- Telephone Codes
- Manhattan: area code 212; a second area code, 646, is in the ongoing process of being deployed. The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island: 718.
- Time Zone
- Eastern Standard Time (EST), five hours behind Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). Daylight Saving Time is observed from the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October.
- Electrical Current
- Electrical devices here run on 110/115 volt, 60-cycle current. International visitors therefore may need to use adapters or converters.
- US Dollar ($). Numerous money exchanges are available. Most major airports, banks and American Express offices are able to exchange foreign currency.
MetroGuide.com, Inc. |
Terms and Conditions
HotelGuide and HotelGuide New York are service marks of MetroGuide.com, Inc.
HotelGuide Network is a registered service mark of MetroGuide.com, Inc.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
To contact us at MetroGuide: Click Here.